Sunday, October 08, 2006

Mom was talking to us today about how we get so caught up in the activities of our lives that we forget to be a part of people's lives. She said that one of our church members, who is recently widowed, had a group of people stop by her house and clean her gutters, trim her bushes and offer to paint her house...all at no cost. It was a group from a church in the area who had decided to adopt that block and help them out. Shouldn't it have been her church family coming over to help her, without her having to ask. Our bulletin's are full of dinners and activites for the upcoming weeks, our schools offer so many programs, our jobs require more and more time (or so we think) that we forget in all of this the people who are around us. What if for every activity we removed from our lives, we replaced it with helping/loving someone around us, what a difference we could make. What if for every hour we didn't stay late at work, we took dinner to someone who just needs a friend, how could God use us? Just thinking about it and typing it out in this blog is really making me think about how we, as a church and as individuals, need to transition our thinking from how can we provide activities to new people so they will want to come to our church to how can we show the people around us God's love so that they will want to come to God. Just a little something I will be thinking about this week.

3 comments:

angie said...

Michelle, I just came across your blog today. I don't know if I replied to the email you sent a while ago. But I think it is great that God has brought you to a knew understanding. I know this whole process hasn't been what I would prefer but God is using it to His glory.

matthew14_31 said...

good thoughts. you know, perhaps men's ministries and women's ministries could team up for something like that, what do you think? well, all to the glory of God!

Scott Williams said...

Sorry for the late post, but here it is anyway. My thoughts: I think the church has no idea what it's supposed to be doing anymore (sounds harsh I know), but it seems like we need a holiday or a commitee or an "official" thing in order to do what that church is doing. It's sad that we've forgotten what it means to love those around us and be willing to move beyond ourselves. I'm glad that church did that for the block. It definitely is the right direction.